Wednesday, April 12, 2017

How to create rustic wood

I don't know about you, but I love the look of rustic wood. My biggest issues are that 1 I can never find it without having to sell my first born and 2 I do not have the patience for stain. A few years back I realized that I can make a stain out of watered down acrylic and latex paints. Some people call it a wash I call it a faux stain 😉. So today, I wanted to share a tutorial on how to create weathered wood using paints. You will need:
1. Brown acrylic paint
2. WATERED down black acrylic
3. White acrylic or latex paint
4. Bristle brush
5. Sand paper

Start by dry brushing white paint (meaning take your brush and dab most of the paint off of it and paint lightly across your piece of wood).
Next you are going to put a little black and a little brow on your brush, again dab most of the paint off, and using the dry brushing apply the paint.
Whoah! That looks crazy, right?! Now this is where the sand paper comes into play. Wait about 10 minutes and lightly sand the wood. 

Your piece will look similar to this once you have it sanded...
And now you get to make a choice. You can either keep this look or repeat the steps until you reach your desired effect. 
Here is my finished product:



2 comments:

  1. I love this faux stain! I was seriously amazed when I saw your IG story the other day when you did a sample. And super excited. Because it means I don't have to use stain anymore 😂 Thanks so much for sharing your amazing ideas and projects!!

    ReplyDelete