Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Ombrè Wall for $9!

When I painted our base cabinets in our kitchen dark grey it threw off the balance of our house a bit. The kitchen was catapulted into a specific style and the rest of our house felt basic. I was stumped, so when we cleared out our home to sand the floors I felt some inspiration. I knew I needed a strong accent wall, one that toned down the blue/grey and tied in the kitchen. I started Pinteresting (is that a word) searching for dark accent walls. I settled on a few looks which included black board and batten, but just didn't feel convinced. I then I saw this inspo picture and stopped dead in my scroll.

Yep. I went straight to the hardware store and picked out my paint colors. I found a paint strip that complimented my current wall colors. I then had the bottom 3 colors on the strip mixed in test pot size. It only cost $9 for all of the paint!! The 4th color was a mixture of my current wall color and the lightest test pot color. 
I started by rolling the darkest color onto the bottom of the wall all the way across. You have to work SUPER FAST and start rolling the next shade above it. Then you take a wet paint brush and BLEND the 2 layers together, you can also use a damp paper towel and in a circular motion to blend the layers together. This ombrè effect is like a 100 meter race you have to run at the same sprinting pace the whole time. My biggest piece of advice is to keep going even when you feel like it isn't going well. 
Now here is the artistic part. This is where you have to get creative with blending and mixing. Take a little bit of each color that meet one another and mix them together. Yes. Do it. This will create your ombrè. You are going to take that mixed paint and dry brush it onto the wall where the color layers meet For example in this photo you would put your new mixed color on top of where the charcoal grey and medium grey touch. Now get your lightly wet paint brush and start your sprint of blending. I used a quick swirling motion. This wall paint is completely open to interpretation. The best part is that it will be unique to you! 


Feel free to comment or email me with any questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment