Sunday, March 5, 2017

About Me

Hi!
I am Brittany the person behind "our fort knox". The name of our blog came about from a nickname that has followed my husband since he was little. His friends used to call him 'Fort Knox' and I thought it would be fun to name our first home ' Our fort knox'. The more that I think about that name I fall further and further in love with it. Our home is a place where our love grows and I couldn't think of a stronger fortress. Anyways, I grew up in a very small town in Ohio. I fell in love with my person there and we have been together ever since.

I have lived in 3 different states in my life. I have 2 babies who I adore beyond comprehension. They have taught me what it means to love beyond measure. I truly feel honored to be their mama. They have given me in their little lifetimes more than I deserve. I am currently in the "formulating dreams" stage of my life. I am relentlessly pursuing passions. I think its really important to follow your passions, even if they are just bursts of steam, I think that's when you grow the most. I believe sometimes we focus so much on what others think that we are taught to believe we have failed before we have even started. I have a bad habit of forgetting to give myself attention. Sometimes, I walk away from the day forgetting if I even looked at myself in the mirror. (real talk) I think we have all been there. I think its okay to give graciously to others, to love them and pursue them passionately, but think we need daily reminders that "we cant pour from an empty cup".



I love to eat chocolate --too much chocolate. I am a vegetarian because I saw a bad documentary once that has changed the way I view food. ha! I really enjoy the sunshine. I think it is a gift that we take for granted. There is nothing like basking in its glow and digging deep breaths out of your lungs. I used to do crossfit for fun (its a workout), but I let the winter take me down with it. Spring is coming though! I love thrifting. I think its fun to reimagine pieces, but more importantly I love being able to teach my babies that treasure can be found in the most obscure places. I mean you cant go to walmart and find an amazing piece of furniture that a man built with his own 2 hands, making each cut and pounding each nail. I think in a deeper format it really is an invitation for them to appreciate the objects that were once hand crafted and understand that we don't have to buy everything brand new. I enjoy decorating, redecorating, and redecorating my home, but I've realized that change doesn't always have to be present. Sometimes we need to do just that --be present-- and feel satisfied with what we have. I get frustrated and impatient too easily. I have been trying to pursue patience, but it has been an interesting journey. I blame it on me being short... I can never see anything or reach anything that I need ... RIGHT NOW... haha! Because of my shortness and my husbands tallness we've developed a whistle, so we can find each other in stores. true story.
I feel that its my calling to encourage others. The Lord has been showering me with His relentless love and grace. That experience alone has me wanting to shout His goodness from the rooftops. Thanks for swinging by and reading my ramblings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment